Activity Forums Questions & Troubleshooting Encoder on MINI Reply To: Encoder on MINI

• Johnnycatt

May 1, 2021 at 10:17 am

For those who may need this answered in the future.

After doing a bit of digging, I discovered this thread:

https://github.com/CONTROLLINO-PLC/CONTROLLINO_Library/issues/26

Which eventually led to this solution:

https://github.com/CONTROLLINO-PLC/CONTROLLINO_Library/pull/32/commits/502b37939f477f97c52b6a42424611255b7f9f9a

In short, I simply needed two “pull-up resistors.” To solve my problem and get the LPD3806 encoder working, I added a resistor (I used a 6.8kOhm) to both input pins (Input0 and Input1) in the same input screw terminals that the Encoder leads were attached. I connected the resistors to the 12v power supply.

In the Code, I changed pinMode(1, INPUT_PULLUP); and pinMode(2, INPUT_PULLUP); to pinMode(1, INPUT); and pinMode(2, INPUT);

WORKS GREAT! This is the code Used to read the encoder (I did not use the CONROLLINO.h library for this project):

//***************************BEGIN CODE******************************

unsigned long A = 3;

unsigned long B = 2;

unsigned long currentStateA;

unsigned long lastStateA;

unsigned long pulse;

unsigned long previousPulse;

void setup () {

pinMode(A,INPUT); // not INPUT_PULLUP since we are attaching external Pullup reistors

pinMode(B,INPUT); //not INPUT_PULLUP since we are attaching external Pullup reistors

lastStateA = digitalRead(A);

Serial.begin(9600);

}

void loop() {

currentStateA = digitalRead(A);

if (currentStateA != lastStateA && currentStateA == 1){

if (digitalRead(B) != currentStateA) {

pulse –;

}

else {

pulse ++;

}

}

lastStateA = currentStateA;

//delay(1) you may need to add a very short delay here to de-bounce signal depending on // your speed (RPM)

if (pulse != previousPulse) {

Serial.println(pulse);

}

previousPulse = pulse;

}

//*******************************END CODE*****************************

Controllino is a great product, I wish it had switches to disable the internal pull-down resistors to allow for “INPUT_PULLUP’ code to be used, but hopefully this answer helps someone in the future.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 11 months ago by  Johnnycatt.